I began studying music when I was six years old. I took drum lessons at a local music store in my hometown, and got my first drumset shortly after. Around age eight, I started creating my own drum beats, notating them on staff paper, and practicing them behind the kit. I like to consider this my first venture into the world of composition. After that, I spent my teenage years playing in rock bands and school ensembles, dabbling with electronic music production, and teaching percussion.
Lately I've been reflecting on my experience as a drummer and how it influences my decision-making as a composer. I can draw a connection between drumset performance and my obsession with physical gestures, textures, timbres, microtones, and kinetic musical energy. My compositions explore these elements regardless of extra-musical concepts.
University of California, Berkeley
- SUNY Purchase College
- M.M. in composition, 2015.
- B.M. in composition, 2013.
- Composition studies with Huang Ruo, Du Yun, Suzanne Farrin.
- Conducting studies with Ransom Wilson.
- West Chester University of Pennsylvania
- Attended 2009-2011.
- Composition studies with Jordan Nelson, Larry Nelson.
- Percussion studies with David Nelson, Ralph Sorrentino.
- June 2016: Nief-Norf Summer Festival
- July 2013: Wintergreen Summer Music Academy
- June 2012: UMKC Summer Composition Workshop
Current obsessions: Boards of Canada, spectralism, kinesis, Elliott Smith, Ableton Live, attempting songwriting, weird poetry, Aphex Twin, brutalism, Spomeniks
List of Works